Creating your first Event, Start to Finish
Setup a ‘Ticket Product’:
- From the Admin Dashboard of your WordPress site click the ‘Products‘ menu item on the left sidebar.
- Near the ‘Products‘ page title, click the ‘Add Product‘ button.
- Fill out the product name and product description, in the middle column of the page.
- Within the ‘Product Data‘ box, check the box next to ‘Ticket‘.
- If desired, assign a Featured Image for this particular ticket.
- Fill out any other information you may require, and then click the blue ‘Publish‘ button.
Setup a ‘Venue’:
- Click the ‘Venues‘ menu item on the left sidebar.
- Near the ‘Venues‘ page title, click the ‘Add Venue‘ button.
- Fill out the venue name and the venue description, as you did with the ticket product.
- Further down the middle column, fill out the ‘Venue Information‘ details.
- If applicable, fill out the ‘Venue Social Information‘ details.
- If desired, assign a Featured Image for this particular ticket. By default this will appear on your customer’s tickets for events at this venue.
Setup a Venue ‘Event Area’:
- Find the box labeled ‘Event Areas‘.
- Click the ‘add‘ button inside the Event Areas box.
- Click ‘Select Image‘ and use the Media Library to choose an image that shows the layout of the event.
The Featured Image for the Venue could be of the outside of your building, while that for the Area could be an internal shot of the performance space.
- Give the area a name.
- Set a positive ‘capacity‘. This should be the maximum number of tickets available for this event.
- Select the ‘ticket product‘ you created earlier, under the ‘Available Pricing‘ option.
- Click the blue ‘save‘ button inside the box.
- Click the blue ‘Publish‘ button.
Setup an ‘Event’:
- Click the ‘Events‘ menu item on the left sidebar.
- Near the ‘Events‘ page title, click the ‘Add Event’ button.
- Fill out the event name and description, in the middle column of the page.
- Setup the showing date and times in the ‘Event Date Time Settings‘ box, which has a similar interface to the Google Calendar.
- Click the ‘New Event Date‘ button in the middle of the calendar header.
- Enter the starting and ending date and time of the first day of this event.
- If this event will happen more than once, check the ‘repeat…‘ checkbox
- Fill out the repeat interval information.
- Once all the event date and repeat interval information has been filled out, click the blue ‘Add to Calendar‘ button.
- Verify that your event dates have been added to the calendar, by browsing the calendar using the calendar navigation.
- Further down in the ‘Event Date Time Settings‘ box, under the ‘Event Date/Times‘ heading, find the list of events you just created.
- Using standard ‘selection techniques‘ (eg: “shift” to select adjacent items, “cmd/ctrl” to select individual items), select any number of your event showings.
- On the right hand side of the list, some basic settings will appear. Adjust the settings accordingly.
- Status – is the Event Published, Pending Review or Draft.
- Visibility – determines who can see the showing, and where it appears.
- Venue – the “Venue” in which the showing is taking place.
- Event Area – the “Event Area” and accompanying ticket price for the event
- Click the blue ‘Publish‘ button in the upper right box
Run Test Scenarios’:
- Go to your Event Page on the front end of your site like a customer would.
- Select a ticket for your event
- Go through the check-out process to make sure your customers have a smooth experience purchasing tickets to your event.
- Check to make sure you received your confirmation email
- Check the link to your ticket and that is easily available for your customer to download and/or print.